Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Today was a pretty eventful day in babyland. First off, I gave her a bath in the sink, and she was her usual delightful little bather self. But TODAY, she splashed for the very first time. I mean, she's *accidentally* splashed before, but I think today's was an intentional splashing. And then she was absolutely fascinated by the water coming out of the faucet. She's done this a couple of times, but she'll try to grab onto the stream of water and be so amazed that her little hand goes right through. It's so cool to watch her figuring out stuff.

And then a little later, I put her in her crib sitting down while I did something in the nursery and when I turned back she had managed to pull herself up on the railing and was on her knees looking at me over the bar. She look SO pleased with herself the little dickens. We will now have to babyproof the crib by lowering it and taking out the bumper probably.

THEN, (that's right, the fun doesn't end there!), I was playing with her on the bed and I put her on her tummy facing away from me. She craned her neck around to see and then, just like that, she turned over onto her back like it was the easiest thing in the world. Again, very pleased with herself. So I think we're getting there on the rolling over thing. I think I mentioned before that she's not so keen on being on her stomach and hasn't really figured out that she can roll over, even though she's done it rather serendipitously several times. Then she took a nap and it's so cute how she smacks her lips three times in such a classic baby way before she falls asleep.

Then we had a very scary moment. I was doing something on the computer, and Lilli was in her highchair sucking on a teething biscuit. I looked over, and I noticed that a rather good sized chunk had come off in her mouth and I was afraid of her choking on it so I took it out and put it away. Well, next thing I know, there must have been another chunk in there, because she was choking and spluttering and tearing up and I just grabbed her up and laid her on my forearm with her stomach on the heel of my hand and pounded on her poor little back, probably a trifle harder than necessary but it was SO SCARY. The whole time I was thinking, should I call 911? It probably wasn't a big enough piece to really choke her, it probably just bigger than was comfortable to swallow whole, but it was my first panic experience. She didn't cough it up or anything, but stopped coughing after a few seconds and then she was fine. She didn't even cry from the shock of me grabbing her up like that. SO. There you have it. Be careful with those teething biscuits.

In another unrelated observation, I've been noticing lately how when she wants to get somebody's attention she makes little grunty "ah" noises. I'll be sitting there, reading something or something like that while she's playing on the floor and I'll hear "ah. . . ah. . .ah" and I'll look over and she's staring fixedly at me and trying to get my attention. She needs quite a few cuddle breaks while playing, which I don't mind at all. Well, I guess that's it. Hopefully I will publish some more photos my mom took at Lummi by tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home