Thursday, December 23, 2004

A Christmas Miracle!!

Yes, people, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. We've known she's been physically able for weeks, what with all her acrobatics and ballet barre exercises (she does a mean arabesque), but she's so careful about we thought it might be weeks still. But. . . last night. . .she walked! Okay, so it wasn't like she walked on water or anything, but three little steps were a pretty big thing for Lilli. My mom is going to be so PISSED though. She didn't want to miss anything. :) She probably jinxed herself by saying anything, because I really didn't think it was going to happen. Like a reverse self fulfilling prophecy.

ANYWAY. What happened was, we were visiting our friends Kurt and Jo last night, and although their baby is three months younger, she throws caution to the winds. She's been taking occasional wee steps for awhile now, and she has this little toy shopping cart which she likes to push around their house. Well, Lilli wanted to play too, but she didn't really get the whole "wheel" concept. She thought the point of the toy was to stand up on it and then work your way around it. When she finally understood that she could use it as an old lady style walker to go where she wanted WHILE REMAINING UPRIGHT it was like a light when on in her head. It was as though she realized that it just might be possible to do this walking thing TO GET AROUND. And the best part is, she could walk AND carry toys around AT THE SAME TIME. So anyway, I actually wasn't privy to any of this. I was in the living room, when all of a sudden from the nursery Bob YELLS "Mariko, she walked, she walked! COME HERE!" I was very skeptical, because I know my Lilli and I know how cautious she is. But as soon as I popped my head in, there she was, taking steps pretty confidently towards Bob's waiting arms.

I guess I should have known she would surprise us like this. She must like to secretly work on her skills while we're not watching, so that she can really get us excited when she decides to unveil herself. Like the whole crawling thing. All of a sudden she just did it!

But, just to keep ourselves in check, she hasn't seemed to excited to replace the crawling with the walking, or even really to try it anymore. All morning when we've tried to get her to do it, she'll stand for a second and then sink to her knees. All the while she has this satisfied look on her face that seems to say SUCKERS! Ah yes, a Christmas miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home