Friday, March 11, 2005

The language development of babies is really amazing. I'm glad I'm semi keeping track of it in this blog, so I don't forget any of the juicy linguistic details. It really is fascinating! Lilli is still full on in mimic mode, and one of her favorite things is to call out "Lilli!" and "Bobby!" just like I do, the little rascal. She also copies a lot of the words we say or try to get her to say, even though I'm not sure she knows what they mean. Like "please." She just knows her daddy and I both smile really big when she says it.

She has picked up A LOT of new words though in the last few weeks. I don't think I can even list them all here, and frankly, at this point none of you probably care for a blow by blow account. Let me just say however, that possibly my favorite of her newer words in "clock." She often wakes up wanting me to get the alarm clock off of the bedside table so that she can play with it. Sometimes I wake up from dozing off while nursing to "mama! clock! mama! clock!" The thing is, she has trouble saying "clock." I won't spell it out for fear of Googling perverts, but she has trouble with that initial "cl" sound. In fact, the "L" often goes missing, if you know what I mean. Ah, nothing like a little innocent potty humor in the morning to get you going.

What's most interesting to me though, are the words that she's kind of figured out for herself, without any prompting from us. The other day I was sitting on the couch, and she came up from behind the arm of the couch and yelled "peek!" I couldn't figure out what she was saying, even though it may look obvious in writing, because I was thinking it could be any number of words: big, pig, pick, and honestly, it kind of sounded like bitch. For awhile there I thought, dear lord, my child is screaming bitch at me. And then I figured it out after she kept saying it over and over and over while bobbing up and down behind the couch. She was saying "peek" for "peekaboo!" My child, the genius! How could I ever imagine her yelling obscenities at me! I don't know where she figured out that she could just shorten the word and make it easier to say, but now it's a favorite. Although this morning she modified it a bit to "peeky." Nothing cuter.

She's also kind of figuring out how to string words together, although we are still limited to "hi" and "bye" together with different people. She loves to say "bye daddy" when we get off the phone with him or he leaves for work, or she also likes "bye doggie" when we leave the house and leave him behind.

Anyhoo, I'm sure all of this fascination sounds rather self indulgent and boring to many of you, but there really is nothing more interesting to a parent then watching their own child's development, whether or not it's happened a bagizzillion times in the world or not. I just can't wait to see what happens next! The suspense is even greater than wondering what's going to happen next on America's Next Top Model! (Stupid Brandy should have been cut last week. . .poor Brita.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home