Saturday, May 07, 2005

Butt update

Just to be clear, we had an double anal sacculectomy (mmm, yummy) performed on Atticus, and it wasn't an elective surgery. His anal sacs were the size of golf balls and were chronically infected. Not having fishbutt anymore is just a bonus. Of course, like I said, the good old "fecal incontinence" thing might be a double bonus.

The animal hospital said it was very unlikely we would have this problem, especially as Addy apparently has a 'very toned anus,' (good for you Addy!) but we won't really know for two or three weeks. Until then, I am having a taste of what having a fecally incontinent dog would be like as he is very bruised and sore down there and so does not have fully operational capacities. I was petting him on the bed this morning when I noticed this spot of brown. That can't be poop, I thought! Well. . . . .I smelled it, and I WAS WRONG. I made Addy get up, and there were these little poop splotches all over the bed, like someone had taken a sponge, carved it into the shape of a dog anus, dipped it in poop, and done a little sponge painting. Well, actually, that's pretty much what Addy had done, only he skipped the sponge step. Why use a sponge when you've got the real deal? I suspected this anal leakage might mean a poop was coming, so I took Addy out in the yard. We can't just let him out there because he's not supposed to run around. So there I was, trailing Addy around the yard waiting for him to poop. He knew it was coming and had a panicked look in his eyes, probably because he knew it would hurt like a mofo. I could sympathize having felt the same way after giving birth. Then I imagined someone taking a scalpel to my butt and my sympathy doubled.

So anyway, I'm trailing him around, and keeping my eye on Lilli too. Finally I see the poop start to emerge, and Addy starts an hysterical poop dance. Unfortunately, it is very soft and stringy and is a 'hanger' if you know what I mean, and Addy is freaking out that he can't get the poop to drop. Imagine a long stringy turd flapping out of the butt of a frightened dog and you imagine the results: that's right, poopy legs and hindquarters. Finally, the flailing about flings the turd away and he continues the poop dance, waiting for what's to come. This time he manages a soft little pile and I am relieved that we're probably done. By now Lilli has taken an interest in the goings on, and so I am having to negotiate a poopy dog and try to keep Lilli away from the random piles of poop at the same time. I decide we had just better go back in, but at this point I see a poop start to slip out of Addy's butt without him realizing it. Two turds drop out before he figures out what's going on and trots back to his corner with me in tow to finish his business.

Finally I manage to get both the little knuckleheads back in the house, but now Lilli is PISSED that her outside play time has been cut short, and Addy is PISSED that I am taking a wet rag to his troubled behind. If anyone had told me three years ago that today I would spend the morning with a angry child hanging on my back and screaming in my ear while I scoured the poop residue from the swollen behind of my reluctant dog, I would have thought twice about this whole thing, dog and child.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta start making that dog sleep on the floor! Yuckkkkkkk! You will be much happier with him and your general living conditions if he is not in bed with you. Our dogs sleep downstairs and have been doing so ever since Zonk's operation a year and a half ago. And it's wonderful! Hilarious blog, though. I feel your angst.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's silly that reading about poop can be so hilarious! At school we talk about anal/oral/regular sex, stds, and gross diseases all the time, but if we ever have to talk about poop, we all start to giggle. I love reading about Lilli, but I think these poop blogs are the funniest things you've ever writtin! love d

6:32 PM  
Blogger mariko said...

Noble,
well, I meant in this post that the poop splotches were on *his* pet bed. I guess I didn't make that clear! Although today we had to leave him locked in our bedroom while we left for a few hours (it's the only place he doesn't have a separation anxiety freak out), and even though we tried to barricade the bed we knew that he might figure out how to get up there, even with his cone head.

So I thank goodness I put an old sheet on the bed, because we came back to three or four stinky poop nuggets and a very ashamed dog. Bob and I are hoping and PRAYING at this point that these poop nuggets are part of the healing process. . .I mean, what if this went on FOREVER??

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, look at it this way, Mariko. He'll probably only live another decade or so!!!!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home