Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Congratulations!

My cousin and his wife just had a baby boy! Whoopee! More babies! Their new baby keeps drawing my thoughts back to when Lilli was a baby and all the joy and confusion and sleepiness that went along with it. I think that no matter how many books you read, you are not mentally prepared for never getting more than two hours of sleep at a time, for what seems like in perpetuity. But on the other hand, you get to spend all those waking hours marveling that you actually produced another human being. It's all so BIZARRE.

Anyway, enough of the deepness. I can't believe I have failed to mention two cute new things Lilli has been doing. One is that she can make kissy noises. The other is this thing she does when she gets excited or happy: she scrunches up her nose like a rabbit and then breathes really fast through her nose. I don't know where she picks these things up. Although tonight she was playing with Pat, Bob's grandma, and Pat was whistling to her, which Lilli thought was pretty funny. Well, all of a sudden she started to take these long deep breaths and she would kind of choke on them they were so long and deep. It was like she was taking in too much air. Well, I don't think I would have had a clue what she was doing, except that Pat was whistling at her, and I think she was trying to copy her. So maybe her scrunchy nose breaths are some imitation of something she perceives us to do.

Lilli also takes great joy in hitting Bob on the head. She really likes the sound it makes or something. And she LOVES to bite me. She is really orally fixated. She often gets this gleam in her eye and then she opens her mouth wide and goes in for the kill. Her favorite places are my shoulders and upper chest and knees. Usually she just gets a mouthful of shirt and she will really bite down and get a determined look and shake her head like a dog with a toy and then finally let go and smile really big. This is kind of cute if all she has between her teeth is a scrap of shirt. It's not so cute when it is my very sensitive skin. It's like a horse bite, you know, those little pinches kids give each other that really hurt. It seems particularly malicious when she smiles so big and triumphant after she's just torn off a piece of flesh. I have to remind myself she has no concept that she is hurting me.

The cutest thing she did today though was very very gently feel my eyelashes with her index finger. She loves exploring things with her finger. It's so funny to watch her palpate little objects with the utmost intensity. I only wish she could be so gentle with her teeth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home