Monday, September 20, 2004

Swimming!

I don't know how I've forgotten to mention this but Lilli has been going to swim lessons! She had her first one last Monday and today she had her third one. I guess I don't know if I'd really call it a lesson. It's more like just getting her acquainted with the water. All we do is sing songs and stuff for like ten minutes and then the teacher says go play by yourself for ten minutes and then sing songs again for five minutes and then free time for five minutes and that's it! She seems to like it though. The first day she just kind seemed perplexed by the whole thing and didn't have much expression either way. Today she was much more excited. She splashed around a lot and made lots of noises. (All the other babies were looking at her :)). If we throw a toy out and put her on her stomach she definitely moves her arms and kicks her legs to try to get to it. The teacher also encourages us to teach her how to blow bubbles but this isn't my favorite thing for two reasons. First, I have to demonstrate, and I am not so keen on putting my mouth into water that is shared with ten other babies (I have noticed in the locker room that not ALL the babies have swim diapers). Secondly, everytime I do put Lilli's mouth in the water, she just tends to open her mouth and lap it up! Yuck!

She's also getting faster at crawling! Today she was really scooting around the living room chasing the dog and his toy. She's starting to do the "cross crawling" thing where they alternate arms and legs and that has really speeded up the process. I am happy for HER, but it is really making my job more difficult. I can forget trying to knit and watch her at the same time; I have to get up like every five seconds to get her away from something, even though we've childproofed pretty much as much as we can.

Lastly, I'm trying to teach her how to give kisses! This is a very slow process :) This morning I asked her for a kiss and to my surprise she actually moved her mouth slowly towards my mouth. But then at the last second she gaped her mouth open wide and then bit onto my lip and wouldn't let go! OUCH! Boy, she thought that was funny.

Oh, and she ate millet today! I am continuing the saga of homecooked baby food. She didn't really like the millet so I had to strain it but by then she was tired of the whole thing so the dog is getting to eat some really healthy food. Oh well, maybe at least he will gain some weight. I did get her to eat some plain yogurt though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home