Saturday, December 18, 2004

My aunt and uncle are staying at my grandma's for a few days, so Lilli and I went for a visit last night. She was fairly well behaved, but was kind of mean to poor well intentioned Uncle Randy. It was another one of those incidents where you wonder what in the heck is going through those little baby minds. My grandma had gotten her this toy that Randy had loved as a child: kind of a peg board where you hammer these pegs through these holes. Very enjoyable for babies that like to hit things with other things. Lilli is one of those babies. Apparently Randy was too.

Well, we were trying to show Lilli how to play with this board, but she does this thing where she wants the adults around her to alternate playing along with her. Like, when we are reading a book together, she touches the pictures, and then I HAVE to touch the pictures, and if I forget then she leads my hand to the correct place. So after she had hammered the pegs awhile, she wanted me to have the hammer and to take a turn. I had a turn, and Mary had a turn, and Linda had a turn. Well, when it was Randy's turn, Lilli DID NOT want Randy to have a turn. No, he was not allowed to touch that hammer. Everytime he wanted to play with it, she would take that hammer away from him with an air of exasperation and give it to me. When I gave it back to him and he tried to hammer those pegs, she would get very frustrated and try to block his every attempt with her busy little hands. She would give him a withering glance and get the hammer away and give it to me. That's not YOUR hammer, her look would say. That is OUR HAMMER. PLEASE. Poor Randy. He really wanted to hammer those pegs.

And I couldn't figure out why she'd decided that Randy wasn't to touch that toy. She let him hold her and read to her and she jabba jabba'ed with him. Maybe she's figured out that he is the reason she isn't getting to eat peanut butter anymore. How else can a baby exact her revenge? No hammer for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home