Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Saga Continues

So last night Bob and I went in with a game plan. Since Bob was going to have a long day today, I agreed to sleep together with them. The plan was, however, that Bob would be the one to try to soothe Lilli to sleep. I forgot, however, two things. Once again, Bob sleeps like the dead (how could I forget this?) and secondly, I have reflexes built up from over a year of doing this. So Lilli woke up a couple of times, and I just reflexively turned over and gave her the boob. Each time I did it, I thought to myself in my sleep induced haze, shoot! next time! But then the next time I forgot again. Finally after the third time Lilli was being a bit harder to get to sleep, so I *tried* to rouse Bob and he very blearily turned over and started a meager rendition of Brahm's lullaby. Lilli commenced screaming. This was hard to ignore. So I turned over and worked the magic of The Whispering. Has anyone else tried this? She immediately shuts up when I start singing to her in a whisper. It's like she's listening really hard to the words. She doesn't always fall asleep right away from this, but she always gets very quiet and still. I got lucky though and she fell asleep pretty quickly. So then I turned over. She IMMEDIATELY sensed that Mama's eyes were now looking at something rather than her pudgy little face (yes, the back of my eyelids), and the screaming recommenced. So I turned over and she looked at me and smiled and mercifully went back to sleep. It's nice to be wanted but. . .

So, I can't say that last night was a rousing success. Better, in that we got her to go to sleep at one point without resorting to The Boob. But not so good in that she still needed my presence. Baby steps, I guess.

I have a book called the No Cry Sleep Solution that I've read once and did get some good tips from. Like the Pantley Gentle Removal System. Maybe I will have to reread it and lay out a full fledged plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home