Tuesday, May 17, 2005

One, two, three!

This morning, I was in a sleepy stupor, after four nights of solo night baby duty while Lilli and I were at Lummi. Lilli was running around like crazy, not sleepy at all, when I thought I heard something. She was in the corner playing with something, and I distinctly heard "one, twooooo, threeeeee!"

"Schuyler!" I said. "Did you hear that?" Schuyler was asleep on the bedroom floor with the blanket over his bed, partly because of the light, and partly because we were annoying him with our baby level of loudness (=very loud). All I heard was a groan, but I got all the confirmation I needed when she said it again. Lilli was counting to three! I don't know what she was counting exactly, and I'm not sure exactly when she picked it up, but she was doing it. It's weird, because she could say one, and I'd occasionally heard two, but I'd never heard her say three and I'd certainly never heard her string them together. And yet, all of sudden, here she was doing it! I'm sure that she learns stuff and practices secretly until she can pull it out at the least expected moment and stun us with her talents.

She was a little bundle of energy this weekend, chattering constantly. We were all fascinated by how babies are constanly verbalizing everything that comes into their little heads, a clear manifestation of the busyness of their little brains. She would just flit from one subject to the next, often creating a strange verbal segue. She might say, for example, "Mango's shoes, mango's shoes, mamamango, mango mama, shoe mama, mama's mango manmama, shoe mama," and finally come up with "here mama! Mango's shoe!" as she managed to pass me his shoe. Fascinating.

She's also, in this last week, learned a new communication trick, that's not so amusing. She's learned that she can use her words to not only describe what's she's doing and what she wants, but to tell OTHER people what she wants them to do. For example, take up. She used to use it to tell us when she wanted up or down or when she was going up or down. Now she's realized that it can apply to other people as well, and she uses it fully to her advantage. It seems like every morning this week, I've been dragged out of bed by her pulling on my hands and demanding "up, up, up!" So. Pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home