Monday, November 08, 2004

Oprah and Julia

Did anyone watch Oprah the other day when Julia Roberts was on laughing like a hyena and talking about her twins? Did anyone hear when Julia mentioned off the cuff that you shouldn't eat peanuts when you are pregnant? Was anyone else as SHOCKED as I was? What??? I missed something after reading twenty gazillion books? It couldn't be! Julia must be wrong! After all, she is only an actress! I was totally in denial. Then I got on the trusty old internet, which should always be trusted, and it's TRUE! Oh my god, I consumed like five thousand jars of honey roasted peanuts while I was pregnant! And it's not just while you're pregnant. While you're lactating too! I am lactating! And I have consumed I do not know how many peanut containing products (Reese's peanut butter cups, Butterfingers, peanut sauce. . .)! Eek! (Sorry for all the melodrama and exclamation marks.) But I kind of feel betrayed. After all the research I did, and NO ONE saw fit to tell me this? Not one of my trusty baby book authors? Not my pediatrician? I guess maybe some baby experts do not agree with this research. And it is totally possible, like so many other things that supposedly scientific experts have put forward, that it is all bunk. The theory is, that if you have allergies or if anyone in your family or your husband's family has allergies, you should avoid peanuts because it has been shown that your child may then develop a peanut or other type of allergy from the tiny amount of peanuts that enters the baby's body either through the placenta or breastmilk. Now, since Bob is allergic to shellfish and cats and there are other people with allergies in the family, I might have actually tried to avoid them, although as a vegetarian I do try to eat peanuts as a protein source. Oh well, I guess it's too late now. All those little allergens have already entered Lilli's body so we will just have to wait and see. I'm guessing she'll be ok. In fact, I'm just remembering that I FED her peanut butter for dinner so I am so totally stupid. Oops, all that panic for nothing. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home