Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Miracles DO Happen

Something amazing just happened. After another struggle last night getting Lilli to go to bed (Bob tried for 45 minutes and then I tried for 45 minutes, finally getting her to go to sleep around 10:30pm), tonight she finally succumbed to the pressure and fell asleep with relative ease. Even more amazing? She actually ASKED to get in her crib.

Let me give you the run down for those of you, who, like me, are wondering HOW IN THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN (for those of you who don't want the "rundown" you may skip this paragraph). We started our routine around 8:45, and to be fair, she had a pretty short nap today earlier in the afternoon than she had yesterday. We nursed and we read books, all without fuss. When I turned the light off, she actually LAID DOWN BY HERSELF and snuggled up to me. I had high hopes. Then. After singing our three songs, she suddenly sat up. I thought to myself, here we go again. Instead of becoming a ball of fire, as she sometimes does at this stage of the game, she pointed toward her crib and said, "baby's nigh nigh" and motioned as though she wanted to get in there. I was doubtful, but I wasn't going to argue. I laid her down and put the blankets on her, and lo and behold, she acted as though that was actually what she had wanted and I had finally gotten it right for once.

I gave her her stuffed mouse, which she has a new bedtime affection for, and she started to talk to him and tell me about him. Oh oh, I thought. She just wanted a new venue for her theatrics. But then she said, "here you go mama" and she gave me the mouse and wanted me to give me her hand. She likes to hold my hand while she falls asleep (yes! I thought). Then, she very imperiously communicated to me that she wanted me to stroke her face. She communicated this to me by using my hand as a tool to stroke her own face. After awhile she got tired of stroking her own face with my hand and she let me give her back the mouse so I could stroke her hair (on my own, without her help.) Then she was asleep within two minutes. I am AMAZED. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm hoping this is one step closer towards being able to put her in her crib (in her own room) and not having to stand next to her crib for half hour while my legs cramp and she has a death grip on my hand. Please God, say it is one step closer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home