Saturday, October 09, 2004

Baby brain

I thought that I was out of it when Lilli was first born, and I thought that I was managing to pull it together pretty much these days. But then yesterday I don't know what happened. The night before I had put on a tshirt for bed, and I put it on in the dark so I accidentally put it on backwards. Well, Bob thought it was just the funniest thing for some reason, but by the time I figured it out Lilli was asleep all pressed up against me and so I couldn't change it. Well, the next day I went about my business, and even though I was slightly uncomfortable all day, I kind of ignored it. After all, being tired and wearing the same nursing bra for fourteen straight days is enough to make you uncomfortable anyway. Well, somehow I had managed to put THAT shirt on backwards too. You'd think I would have paid special attention the second time around. Thank God I didn't go out in public. Bob keeps giving me shit about it, which is bad enough.

Anyway, so that night that I was lying there with a backwards shirt I couldn't go to sleep thinking about the itchy fabric scratching my neck. So I was just thinking about how cute Lilli was and noticing how that evening when I'd come to bed she'd woken up but just smiled at me and snuggled up and gone back to sleep. Now, I've been reading my books, and most of them say that by this time, almost eleven months, Lilli should be able to sleep at least ten hours without needing a refill. This makes sense, I guess. However, most of the time when she wakes up in the night she makes this distressed na na na sound and she won't go back to sleep without the boob. I was thinking that either 1) she is actually hungry or 2) she needs the boob to go back to sleep. But I realized then that sometimes she doesn't need the boob to go back to sleep. Does that mean she is actually hungry those distressed times? I hate to deprive her if she is actually hungry. On the other hand, I could get used to just snuggling up with her to get her to back to sleep, rather than having to undo my bra flap and pull that boobie out. The sleep book I got has some suggestions for weaning them off the boob at night, but most of them require some degree of inconvenience for at least a week, which I'm not so keen on. I guess though I may be glad in the long run. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home