Friday, April 08, 2005

Dirty Minds and Innocent Kitties

I took Lilli book shopping the other day, but quickly realized that she was going to have a difficult time picking out a book herself. No sooner would she find an interesting one than another one would catch her eye and the first book would go flying. I was her little shadow tornado trying to pick up her disdainfully discarded books and try to find their proper places. Sorry Barnes & Noble people who had to reorder our mess.

I decided then that I wasn't really buying the book for her anyhow. She doesn't care if we read the same book OVER AND OVER again. And goodness knows we often do. It's BECAUSE Bob and I have our entire library memorized that WE need a constant supply of fresh books just to keep from going insane. SO. I suddenly seized upon a book that I remembered loving as a child. My GMary used to read it to us when we spent the night, and I was filled with nostalgia and anticipation as I imagined reading "The Owl and The Pussycat" to Lilli now. It is an old poem by Edward Lear about an owl and a cat that are lovers and they take a trip in a boat to go and get married. The illustrations in this version looked lovely, so I scooped it up after quickly thumbing through it and escaped B&N as quickly as I could with my little funnel cloud.

So I get home and plop Lilli in my lap and start to read. But goodness knows if I know what to do when I get to page 8, which reads:

"O Lovely Pu$$y, O Pu$$y, my Love,
What a beautiful Pu$$y you are,
you are,
you are,
What a beautiful Pu$$y you are!"

Huh?? OK, I realize that the dollar signs I've used so as not to encourage Googling Perverts kind of give it a gangster rap feel, and I also realize that since this poem was written in the 1800's that it is *probably* totally innocently meant, but I can't help but feel slightly uncomfortable reading this page aloud! To my child! Can you say double entendre?? I'm sure Lilli would never get it, as I never did as a child, it's my own dirty mind, but. . . I guess I will just have to suppress a childish giggle everytime we get to Page Eight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home