Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Lilli is seemingly able to repeat pretty much everything we say, as long as we say it a few times AND she is paying attention.

Which is why I am so incredibly baffled at her newest weird language development: every object whose name starts with wa is automatically called wallet. Now, she LOVES my wallet, so it makes sense that she knows that word REALLY REALLY WELL, but it's not like water is that hard to say and she likes water a whole lot too. And it's not as though I haven't tried to teach her water or watch. I HAVE tried to teach her those words and the exchange goes something like this:

me: Watch my lips. Waaaaateeeer.
Lilli: Wallet!
me: no, Lilli. Waaaateeer.
Lilli: Wallet!
me: Lilli, do you want your waaaateeer? Say waaaaateeeer, and you'll get your cup.
Lilli: Wallet!!!!

Humph. It's not so bad to figure out what she wants when the object is in context. Like when she is pointing at a cup of water or my watch. But it's kind of frustrating in the middle of the night when your baby is yelling for wallet, wallet, wallet! and in your sleep and half delusional state you can't figure out why in the world she wants your wallet at 3 a.m.

So, any ideas people? Why is she so hung up on wallet??

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wallet, Wallettt..Trippingly on the tongue..Wall lett tt, Waaah Lettee.
It could have something to do with the joy of shopping but I think it's just fun to say. Waaallet! Don't get me started.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home